Sunday, March 13, 2011

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake

Ok, ok, ok.
I'll admit it.  When I first heard the words mayonnaise and cake together, I had the reaction that most people do: EW.  Then I thought about it for a second-- mayonnaise is just eggs, vinegar and oil (with a teensy bit ofsalt, dried mustard and pepper) and cakes need fat and eggs.  Chocolate flavors are always punched up by vinegar, and I have a few chocolate cake recipes that use vinegar exclusively for that purpose.  So why such an aversion to mayonnaise cake?

I did a little research and realized this kind of cake has probably been served to me on more than one occasion, because another typical name for it is War Cake or Depression Cake, and it's apparently very popular among the Mormons and in Utah.  I'd  be shocked if this wasn't the chocolate cake served at many a church outing, and I'd wager even a Job's Daughters potluck or two.

Still, the idea of plopping some mayonnaise into a cake batter still turned my stomach.  I'm really not a big fan of mayonnaise, and it's main purpose in my life is for cheeseburgers, french fries, and egg salad.  When Nate makes me a tuna sandwich, he knows: go super light on the mayo.

Despite my aversion, I was still fascinated by the idea.  So when Nate asked for a mayonnaise cake for his birthday, I figured it was the perfect opportunity to test the recipe and put the "ew" feelings to rest once and for all.  This cake is just about as simple as a cake can get and I had everything I needed in my pantry.  The only real difference between recipes was the frosting, which varied from fudge to brown sugar to buttercream to whip cream.  I decided to practice my vanilla buttercream frosting for this cake, because I wasn't sure how chocolate on chocolate would work out and I'm not keen on brown sugar frosting. (Nate gave me a serious look when I even mentioned it!)

Chocolate Mayonnaise Cake
Tools: Measuring cups and spoons, mixer or spoon & whisk for mixing, two 8-inch cake rounds.
Ingredients:
Cake:
      1 cup mayonnaise
      1 cup white granulated sugar
   3/4 cup cold water
      2 cups all purpose flour
      4 tablespoons unsweetened baking cocoa (I prefer Ghiradelli)
      2 teaspoons vanilla extract
   1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

Frosting:
   3 cups powdered (confectioner's) sugar
   1 cup softened butter, unsalted
   2 tbsp very hot water
   2-4 tbsp whipping cream or half-n-half
   2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
pinch of salt

Ingredients

Preheat the oven to 350.  Grease and flour two 8 inch round cake pans.

Sift together and then whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt to distribute evenly.

sift and whisk flour and chocolate

Whip the mayonnaise and white sugar together until throughly combined.

Cream mayo and sugar

Slowly add the cold water and vanilla until mixed, and then the flour mixture, beating on medium speed for two minutes.

slowly add flour mixture

Pour the batter in measure into the prepared pans and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.  Let cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool before frosting.

cool in pans, remove to wire rack

Frosting:
--I didn't take pictures of this, but it's pretty simple.

Cut the butter into chunks.  Add the butter to the confectioner's sugar and beat on low speed until it starts to look crumbled.  Slowly add the hot water and increase the speed to medium high.  Cream until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla and almond extract.  Continue beating, adding a tablespoon of cream at a time until you reach the desired consistency, and ta-dah!

frosted

This cake turned out to be pretty delicious.  The original recipe I used said this would fill two 9-inch rounds, but unless they're measuring with some other kind of inch, an 8-inch round is the max.  The cake didn't rise quite as much as some others I've made with cake flour, butter and eggs but it had a distinct moistness to it that I really enjoyed.  Next time I think a lighter frosting is in order, to really highlight the chocolate flavor. I was surprised by the intensity of the chocolate! I could eat this this cake plain with a glass of milk and the world would be A-OK.

chocolate mayonnaise cake

Nate's birthday cake 2011

Fin!

No comments:

Post a Comment