Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Pumpkin Bread

There I was at my desk, minding my own business when I realized that I desperately wanted pumpkin bread and the only way I'd get it (at least, if I wanted it to be any good) was probably going to be to make it.

I've made other fruit breads-- this one should be no different, right? But I always need guinea pigs, and luckily there are nearly thirty people willing to consume something I bake and give me feedback. So I found a recipe, adjusted it slightly and set out to Lucky to pick up some pumpkin puree. If I make this again, I might try roasting my own pumpkin but for this version, a can of Libby's did just fine.

Pumpkin Bread -- makes three loaves
Tools:
Can opener, measuring utensils, two large bowls, whisks, three 9 x 5 loaf pans, spoon, spatula

Ingredients:
1 29 oz (about 3 1/2 cups) can pumpkin puree, 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil, 4 cups white sugar, 6 eggs, 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1 1/2 tsp ground cloves, 2 tsp vanilla, 1 heaping tbsp sour cream, 1 tbsp brown sugar

Pumpkin Bread Ingredients

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease & lighly flour your loaf pans. I like to use butter wrappers for the greasing but butter or shortening will do just fine. You can also use one of those crazy sprays if you like. Tap out excess flour over the sink for a bit less of a mess.

I used the kitchen aid for this, but you know a handheld mixer will work just fine.

Mix the pumpkin and the oil until incorporated. It will be a bit soupy. Add the vanilla and the sour cream. Add one egg at a time, mixing well. Finally add the sugar and mix on low until smooth and creamy.

mix up the wet

In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and cloves. Whisk together until everything is evenly distributed. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet pumpkin mix until it's blended and smooth.

add together the dry sifted or whisked together

Distribute evenly between your loaf pans and sprinkle the tops with brown sugar.

into the oven

Stick 'em in the oven and bake for about an hour and ten minutes, or until the top springs back when pushed lightly and a toothpick comes out clean. Check your bread after an hour-- some ovens, pans and elevations make things vary. The original recipe I found said this would be ready in 45 minutes but they must have some crazy kind of oven because it took mine about an hour and fifteen minutes in the metal pans and an hour and ten in the glass pan.

Serve as is, or you can whip up this sour cream glaze. It's a little bitter from the unsweetened chocolate, so if you like something supersweet let your pumpkin bread go naked.

Chocolate Sour Cream Glaze-ish Frosting
Tools:
metal bowl, pot, whisk, measuring utensils

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz bittersweet baker's chocolate, 7 oz sour cream, 6 tbsp powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp - 1 tsp hot water, 1/2 tsp milk, 3 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp vanilla

Put water in the pot over medium heat. Put the metal bowl over it (look ma! a double boiler!) and melt the chocolate and butter, whisking constantly. Whisk in the vanilla and 1/2 the powdered sugar. Whisk in the sour cream. Whisk, whisk, whisk as it comes to a bubbling state, then add the rest of the sugar. Whisk, whisk, whisk. Add the milk and the water, a little at a time, until the icing thins and forms a ribbon when you lift the whisk. Whisk in two pinches of salt, remove from heat and let drizzle over your intended target.

melt the butter & chocolate whisk in the sour creamdid i mention whisking?chocolate sour cream glazeish

I drizzled one loaf with the chocolate, one loaf was 1/2 chocolate and the other I left plain.

pumpkin bread with chocolate sour cream frostingpumpkin bread

The house smelled amazing by the time it was through and my tastebuds (and craving) were satisfied. Packed it up and brought it to work, where the guinea pigs devoured two loaves. I passed the recipe on to a coworker searching out pumpkin muffins... I can't wait to hear how they turned out for her!

2 comments: